Let the comfort begin. Simple, creamy, and healthy green bean casserole is one of the many foods you can easily prepare and if you’re not careful, eat one too many servings. We’re going to discuss how to create a non-dairy version of this traditional dish to pair up with your favorite foods this holiday season. You're gonna love this vegan gluten-free green bean casserole recipe!
What Are Green Beans
Green beans are incredibly nutritious, loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They have over 130 different varieties and belong to the legume family (Fabaceae) originally cultivated in Peru.
Green Bean Nutrition
One cup of raw green beans contains just 30 calories, less than one gram of fat, and are high in folate and calcium.
- Carbs:7 grams
- Fiber:7 grams
- Protein:8 grams
- Vitamin A: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin C:20% of the DV
- Calcium: 8% of the DV
- Iron:7% of the DV
- Folate:1% of the DV
Vegan Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
Green bean casserole is relatively simple to prepare. With only a handful of ingredients, you can have this recipe on your dinner table from start to finish in just under 30 minutes.
Run to your local market and make sure to grab fresh green beans for this recipe. You can purchase the pre-made onions on top, or make them quick and easily at home, with just a bit of vegan butter or olive oil, to take your green bean casserole to the next level.
- 1 pound of green beans
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh Rosemary
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 2 tbsp all purpose or gluten free flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
Vegan Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole Directions
- Before you get started, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, boil a large pot of water and liberally salt.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the green beans and let them boil for 5 minutes, then drain and add to an ice bath, drain then transfer to a large bowl
- In a large skillet add sliced mushrooms, 2 tbsp of olive oil, shallots, garlic, and add salt and pepper. Stir often for 5-10 more minutes until cooked to a slight crisp and transfer the bowl with green beans
- Next add 4-5 tbsp of olive oil or vegan butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Whisk flour and coat the green beans and slowly add vegetable stock.
- Add almond milk and whisk until it simmers. Reduce the heat slightly then cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, until its thickened.
- Remove from heat and add in with the green beans until evenly combined, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Top with fried onions and bake for an additional 15 minutes
- Voila, serve and enjoy!
Need Help With Optimizing Your Diet And Nutrition Plan To Finally Get The Results You've Been Waiting For?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.