Let’s be honest, it doesn’t get much better than diving into a warm home-made strawberry rhubarb pie on a cold fall day. The perfect buttery flaky crust, bursting with warm delicious filling, exuberating flavors of tart-sweetness and all wrapped together in a truly magnificent vegan delight. Dazzle all of your friends and family with this delicious vegan strawberry rhubarb pie recipe.
What Is Rhubarb
We all have a pretty good idea of what strawberries are I would hope, but there may be some of you wondering, what in the heck is rhubarb.
The gorgeous pink stalks of Rhubarb became widely popular in 18th century England, used both for culinary and medicinal purposes. Now, rhubarb is traditionally paired with strawberries, to balance out the sour and sweet flavors. Rhubarb is technically a vegetable. I know weird, right? A vegetable in your pie... legally however, it is a fruit.
Rhubarb is very nutrient, rich with Vitamin K and and low in calories.
A 3.5-ounce (100-gram) serving of cooked rhubarb with added sugar (strawberries) contains
- Calories: 116
- Carbs: 31.2 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 0.4 grams
- Vitamin K1: 26% of the DV
- Calcium: 15% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 6% of the DV
- Potassium: 3% of the DV
- Folate: 1% of the DV
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe Ingredients
So before we get started on this vegan strawberry rhubarb masterpiece, let’s lay out all of the ingredients you’re going to need.
Flour: You want all-purpose flour, however you can use 1:1 replacement for gluten free- flour, if you want a gluten free pie crust. You can also add 50% whole wheat flour if you want.
- 5 cups of all-purpose flour
- Sugar: In a traditional recipe you would use normal sugar, however, to make this even lower calorie with the same sweetness, you can replace sugar with 50% Truvia, therefore ½ cup
- ½ cup of Truvia
Butter: Non-dairy of course, use a non-hydrogenated vegan butter.
- ¾ cup of butter, cold, diced
Strawberries & Rhubarb: For the filling, you'll need the strawberries and rhubarb. Fresh is always best and most preferred, but to speed things up, you can use frozen strawberries and rhubarb if it’s available at your local market.
- 4 cups of rhubarb
- 4 cups of strawberries or slightly less
- 4tbsp of cornstarch
How To Make Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Directions
Step 1: Pie Crust
There are a few general things you need to know, before you get into your home-made vegan pie crust, to make it flaky and delicious. You can also purchase a ready made vegan pie crust if it’s easier.
- Don’t overwater the pie crust, meaning add just enough water to get things mixing. It may be easier to mold with more water, but the drier it is, the flakier and delicious it will end up.
- Chill your pie crust twice. Chilling your pie crust before you roll it out, is a must, this will maintain the flaky crust that you want. It lets the gluten strands in the dough relax and settle. This will make it easier to roll out and cuts any shrinkage of the dough during the baking process. Let it chill for at least an hour before rolling. The second chill after the mold, will let it firm up so it keeps it beautiful form.
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Next add cold diced vegan butter working it into the mixture or mix with a food processor.
- Gradually add water, and mix until it’s a dry/workable consistency
- Divide the dough into two large discs, and refrigerate for an hour or more
- Roll out and dust flour on a flat surface into a 12” inch circle.
- Place the crust in a 9” pie pan and push down the sides and bottom firmly.
- Dust the dough evenly with 1 tsp of cornstarch
- For the top, you can roll out as well. Using a pizza cutter, you can slice into pieces to form a lattice, or simply drape over the top after placement of the filling and cut small slits.
Step 2: The Filling
Now onto the sweet part, the filling. Use an equal amount of strawberries to rhubarb for the perfect balance of sweet, tangy, and sour. More strawberries is not necessarily better, and it will cause the pie to be watery, since they are a bit juicer so keep that in mind.
To make the filling just mix the strawberries, rhubarb, stevia, and cornstarch into a bowl.
You’ll need about 4 stalks of rhubarb, as well as 14-16oz of chopped strawberries.
Step 3: Assembling the Pie
Now, for the last and final step, assembling the vegan strawberry rhubarb masterpiece.
- After your pie crust has chilled and you’ve made the top, add the filling of strawberries and rhubarb
- Carefully place the top or lattice across the filling or place the entire rolled dough on top and cut slits
- Press the edges firmly into the bottom pie crust edge to seal and trim off the extra crust
- Lightly brush the top with butter and sprinkle Truvia/sugar
- Preheat your oven at 390, bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack, then turn the temp down to 350 and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- It’s best to make this type of pie a day before, and let it cool on the counter if you’re serving the next day.
- Eat and ENJOY!
Need Help With Optimizing Your Diet And Nutrition Plan To Finally Get The Results You've Been Waiting For?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.