When it comes to strength training, the seated cable row is a must-have exercise in your back day training routine. Seated Cable Row provides ample resistance and isolation, to help build more strength and more muscle for a bigger and well-defined back.
Seated Cable Row
Seated cable row utilizes a cable pulley workstation. Seated at a bench with your feet shoulder width apart in front of you, seated cable is an excellent all around exercise, which will help build the latissimus dorsi, forearms, biceps, and dynamic muscle stabilizers.
Studies use EMG (Electromyography), to determine the best exercises for each muscle group. An EMG device measures extremely small amounts of electric stimulation generated by muscles below the surface of the skin.
Seated Cable Row Variations
- Reverse Grip Seated Cable Row
- Close Grip Seated Cable Row
- Wide Grip Seated Cable Row
- Single Arm Cable Row
Seated Cable Row Benefits
- Increased Strength
- Better Posture
- Stronger Upper Back
- Better Back Definition
- Better Core Stability
- Increased Core Strength
- Improved Muscular Balance
How To Perform Seated Cable Row
- Sitting on the bench/platform place your feet shoulder width apart with your knees bent and grasp the cable attachment.
- Often times, the grip will be a triangle handle, for a close grip position, but it also may be switch out for a bar, in case you want a wide-grip variation.
- Brace your core with your feet firmly planted into the platform foothold and pull the handle and weight back.
- Pull the weight back, with your hands placed at the top of the attachment, towards your belly button or lower abdomen, keeping your back straight with a slight 10 degree angle and minimal movement.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together on the concentric (pulling) portion of the movement, and retract your scapulae
- Return the handle forward, until you feel a stretch in your lats, and shoulders keeping your back straight, until your arms are fully stretched in the eccentric phase, and return and repeat.
Seated Cable Row Tips And Tricks
- Your back should remain straight at all times, and momentum should be avoided. Imagine someone is sitting behind you, back to back.
- Retract and squeeze your shoulder blades together for a 1-2 count to improve strength and results.
- Don’t slam the weight at the end of your set and make sure you have fluid motion throughout each rep.
Need Help With Optimizing Your Diet And Nutrition Plan To Finally Get The Results You've Been Waiting For?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.