You have two choices - have buns of steel or buns of cinnamon, up until now! We’ve taken this time tested favorite and put a protein punch twist on it to create the perfect protein cinnamon rolls recipe. I personally like to make this on a weekend morning so that the oozy-gooey aroma of sweet cinnamon cascades throughout my house warming up my taste buds as they rise in the oven.
This recipe was inspired by the probably hundreds of cinnamon rolls I’ve eaten over my lifetime. As a kid, my mother would bake them for special occasions and big game days, the first day of school or as a new-day pick-me-up after something tragic happened. They were sweet, savory, and are filled with great memories of sleepy mornings with my mom.
As an adult, I find buying a can of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls and slamming the whole thing to my noggin on a Saturday morning doesn’t quite have the allure as it did when I was in high school. Maybe it’s my metabolism, maybe it’s guilt, maybe it’s just that I’m not in my parent’s house; whatever the case may be, I woke up this last weekend with an urge to bake something that would bring back that weekend morning charm.
This recipe has been brought to you by The Swole Kitchen, 1:1 Customized Nutrition Programming. Learn more at www.theswolekitchen.com
We recommend using Whey Protein Isolate from Swolverine for this recipe.
Here is why:
- Whey Protein Isolate 27g per serving per 29 g scoop (30 Servings)
- Performance-Based Nutrition 100 calories, 1g carb, 1g sugar (per serving)
- Added Branched Chain Amino Acids 2.5mg Leucine, 1.25mg Isoleucine, & 1.25mg Valine per serving
- Papain & Protease(digestive enzymes)10 mg per serving for better digestion
You can purchase the Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate that we used in this exact recipe by clicking HERE 😛🍰
What Is Whey Protein Isolate?
To understand whey protein isolate, you first have to understand what ordinary whey protein or whey concentrate is. Whey protein is a complete source of high-quality protein derived from cow's milk, containing a complete amino acid profile. Whey protein has a very high concentration of the essential amino acids, responsible for building and rebuilding lean muscle mass called the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). BCAAs are comprised of leucine, isoleucine, and valine Studies have shown that the branched-chain amino acids, especially leucine is responsible for enhancing skeletal muscle and mass.
RELATED ARTICLE What Are The Benefits Of BCAAs?
Whey protein isolate is a highly purified form of Whey protein. Whey protein isolate goes through a rigorous filtration process, called Cross-Flow Micro-Filtration. Through this filtration process, protein is separated from any additional fat, carbohydrates, cholesterol, and lactose, resulting in a more purified form of protein. Whey protein isolate is therefore a more refined form of protein, without any extra macronutrients. This is especially great, if one of your goals, is to optimize body composition, and burn more body fat, since it contains fewer calories, fat, carbohydrates, and sugar than any other type of whey protein, or casein.
How Does Whey Protein Isolate Work?
Like all protein, whey protein isolate is comprised of amino acids. Protein is primarily used for building muscle mass and rebuilding and repairing muscle mass breakdown. This is why consuming protein after training is crucial to maximize performance benefits and gains, by repairing lean muscle mass and optimizing recovery time. Numerous studies have demonstrated that protein supplementation or ingestion post-workout has a beneficial effect on acute anaerobic power, strength, and recovery [R].
Perfect Protein Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 10-12 minutes
For The Dough:
- 2 cups Oat Flour
- 2 scoops Swolverine Vanilla Whey Isolate
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 tsp Egg Whites
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 4 tsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Applesauce (unsweetened)
For The Filling:
- 1/4 cup Sugar-Free Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon Powder
For The Icing:
- 1 oz Fat-Free Cream Cheese
- 1/2 scoop Swolverine Vanilla Whey Isolate
- Milk (we used oat milk)
- Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease a pyrex or baking dish, set aside
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixer bowl until blended
- Add in wet ingredients - the mixture should be relatively crumbly
- Knead the dough until it becomes thick
- On a clean surface (might want to dust with flour) roll the dough out into a rectangle - how thick or thin you roll the dough out will determine how ‘thick’ your rolls are
- Scoop up the filling mix into your hands and spread over the entirety of the dough evenly
- Starting from the edge, like you would a yoga mat, roll up the dough tightly (not too tight!)
- Once you’ve rolled the dough, using a sharp knife or floss, cut the roll into 12 even slices
- Place the slices into your greased baking dish (it’s okay if they touch) just make sure they’re evenly spaced
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown on the top/outside
- While they’re in the oven, mix together your topping in a small/medium-sized bowl with a hand mixer. Add just enough milk to get a smooth and silky texture
- Remove cinnamon rolls and let cool before you top with icing
- Serve and enjoy!
Ready to create your delicious home-made Protein Cinnamon Rolls? Well, you're going to want to use Swolverine's Vanilla or Honey Cinnamon Peanut Butter - Whey Protein Isolate!
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.