Pastel de papa is by far and away my favorite ice age meals recipe. Delicious and savory this recipe is loaded with flavor and packed with healthy complex carbs and lean protein making for the perfect meal to help you reach your goals. If you don't have time or feel like meal prepping, you can go grab if from Ice Age Meals right here and get 10% off when you use code IAMSWOLVERINE at checkout.
Pastel De Papa Recipe
- 4 Pounds Ground Grass Fed Beef or Elk
- 12 Hard Boiled Eggs, chopped
8 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2”-3” uniform cubes
- 1 Large Onion, small dice
- 1⁄4 Cups Fresh Garlic, minced
2 – 28 Ounce cans Tomato
Product, crushed, puree or sauce
- 2 Cups Raisins 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 – 18.5 Ounce can Sliced Green Olives
- 4 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon Ground Red Chili
- 1⁄4 Cup Italian Seasoning
Preparation Instructions for Sweet Potato Puree:
- Place sweet potatoes in a large soup pot. Add cold water until there is two inches of water above the highest potato. Place over high heat and simmer until fork tender.
- Strain potatoes in a colander for 5-10 minutes to allow all excess moisture to drain off. Then return potatoes to pot and beat with a whisk until smooth or puree in a food processor.
Preparation Instructions for Meat Mixture: (while the potatoes are cooking prepare the following)
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Once oil shimmers (has the consistency of water), add garlic and stir for 30-60 seconds. Then add onion and continue to stir.
Season beef/elk with salt, pepper and chili. Add it to the onion/garlic mixture. Break up meat with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Cook until browned and well chopped. Approximately 15-20 minutes.
Add tomato product,olives,raisins and Italian seasoning. Stir until uniform, then gently fold in eggs. Taste the mixture at this point and adjust seasoning to your liking
Assembly of Pastel de Papa
Divide meat mixture into three 9” x 13” pans. Spread evenly until compact and level.
Divide sweet potato puree mixture into the three pans. Spread puree evenly over the top of the meat mixture like you are icing a cake. Do your best to leave the meat mixture undisturbed.
Place pans in a preheated 350°F oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove pans from the oven. Cut each pan into 6 portions and eat immediately. You may refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Pastel De Papa: Takeaway
This paleo recipe is not only delicious, but it's healthy and nutritious. With sweet potatoes, lean beef and eggs, you get a perfect mix of healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and protein. If you don't feel like making the recipe, just go to Ice Age and have them delivered straight to your doorstep.