When it comes to building a stronger and well-defined chest, there are a ton of different chest exercises and variations to choose from. The decline dumbbell fly is a variation of the traditional dumbbell fly and mainly used by bodybuilders to build a stronger physique and to support heavier compound lifts.
What Is The Decline Dumbbell Fly
The decline dumbbell chest fly is a fun and effective accessory movement, mainly used to build more muscle and strength. The decline fly provides assistance to help build bigger lifts such as the barbell bench press. The decline dumbbell fly also activates secondary muscles groups such as your shoulders and triceps. The decline provides more emphases on the lower chest and provides variety for your chest day split.
Like most other exercises the decline dumbbell fly has several variations which isolate and emphasize different segments of the chest for specific training purpose and intent
Some decline dumbbell fly variations include
Decline Dumbbell Fly Benefits
Studies have shown that chest flys can significantly activate the major muscles the pectoralis major and minor developing more muscle and strength. Dumbbells are an effective training implement, that can help improve core stability and strength, as well as improve posture, muscular imbalances, and coordination.
- Increased Strength
- Better Chest Definition
- Increased Shoulder Strength
- Better Core Stability
- Increased Core Strength
- Improved Muscular Balance
How To Decline Dumbbell Fly
- Grab your dumbbells with a neutral grip, palms facing in. Position the dumbbells in the crest of your hips and lay back.
- Lie back on the decline bench, keeping the weights close to your chest, with your feet firmly placed into the pads.
- Push the dumbbells away from your body and press them above you.
- Slightly retract your shoulder blades by pinching them together, unlocking your elbows and slowly lowering the dumbbells laterally while maintaining the angel at your elbow.
- Once the dumbbells are in line with your chest on each side, reverse the movement, squeezing your pecs together, until you reach the top with the dumbbells back at the starting position.
Decline Dumbbell Fly Tips And Tricks
- Always focus on executing proper form. Your body works in a specific plane of motion. Focus on your breathing and taking your time, executing a full range of motion.
- Chest fly requires more mind/muscle activation. Consciously think about activating your pecs and contracting them at the top of the movement.
- Make sure you are descending the dumbbells down directly level on each side of your body.
- Maintain control of the dumbbells with a 4 second descent. Slightly pause and contract your chest muscles with a reverse motion, hold and repeat.
- Don’t pay attention to the weight. Everyone is different and we all have our own journey to follow. Ramp up your load and volume slowly overtime in a linear progression.
- Decline dumbbell chest fly should be used in your training program, but not used on every chest day training split. Exercise variability is important to increase muscle mass, strength, and core strength. Utilize different chest fly variations within your training program, such as the traditional chest fly or decline chest fly.
- When you plan to increase the weight, make sure you have a spotter, so you can obtain one rep, with full range of motion.
- Maintain tension in your abs and don’t allow your lower back to excessively arch.
- Avoid banging the dumbbells together at the top of your lift.
- Always ensure a slight bend in your elbow and never lower the weight to the point where you feel joint pain, or that its further than your normal range of motion.
Decline Dumbbell Chest Fly: Takeaway
Any chest fly variation will support greater muscle development and growth. Moreover, adding dumbbells to your exercise and training routine, will enable you to improve core strength, stability, balance, and coordination, which translates to better athletic performance and gains.
Need Help With Optimizing Your Nutrition And Training Plan To Finally Get The Results You've Been Waiting For?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.