Butternut squash soup roasted to perfection with this easy to make recipe is sure to brighten any gloomy, cloudy day that this fall or winter brings your way. Full of this complex carbohydrate vegetable, apple, and spice, While you can eat the soup alone, you might want to pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich or bring it along with you to a family gathering. You can also put meat in the soup if you’re looking for a protein boost, like turkey breast or meat from a rotisserie chicken.
Butternut Squash Soup (Roasted)
The ingredients in this recipe are simple and straightforward for a reason. Not only are we not culinary chefs, but we also are often pinched for time, which is why we also think you might be sometimes, too!
Why Roast The Squash
Not sure if you’ve ever tried to cut a raw butternut squash, or any squash for that matter, but it is a lot like carving a pumpkin, and in this case, not very enjoyable. When you roast the squash, you’ll be able to cut scoop it out with little to no effort at all.
The other reason why you should roast the squash for this easy homemade butternut squash soup? When roasted boasts a large, delicious flavor profile on its own. It’s important to note though that what makes this recipe special is the roasting of the squash before you cook it as a soup. When you do this, the naturally present sugars in the squash caramelize. The squash also caramelizes a little, really bringing out the most flavor possible.
The Best Collagen Powder For Soup
Swolverine's Collagen Protein is made with pure hydrolyzed collagen peptides. Unflavored and virtually tasteless, you can add it to your coffee, smoothies, shakes, and even to your baking recipes to get an added boost of protein whenever you may need it. Collagen can help replenish your body with the vital protein you need to build lean muscle mass, strength, and help support healthy joints and glowing skin.
We recommend adding in 4-8 scoops of Collagen Protein powder from Swolverine into this recipe to boost the protein content.
RECOMMENDED: Collagen Protein Peptides Powder (35 servings)
Preparing Butternut Squash Soup Roasted To Perfection
This recipe does call for you to use a blender or a blending method in order to puree the ingredients after letting them simmer on the stove. Our favorite way to prepare browned butternut squash or roasted butternut squash for soup is by using a stand mixer (if you don’t have one, don’t fret).
Stand Mixer Method:
After you’ve combined all the ingredients on the stove, while warm or hot, transfer to the stand mixer bowl and beat until the mixture is as smooth as can be. This method, in our opinion, yields the creamiest texture for the butternut squash roasted soup).
If you have an immersion blender or a hand mixer, you can also use these to get the job done, but you may just have a few little clumps in the soup, unless you’re pretty nit picky with the blender itself. You can definitely achieve a creamy texture, but it may have a little grit to it, which also is never bad.
Now if you’ve splurged on this kitchen item, with or without a soup preset, first off, good for you. Second off, upscale blenders make great soups and really are able to cream a recipe together well. You can also use this method if you have it.
Butternut Squash Soup Roasted To Perfection (Recipe)
- 2 medium butternut squashes (comes out to ~3 lbs squash total)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 yellow onion (or 2 shallots)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium apple
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 scoops Swolverine Collagen Protein Powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with foil
- Cut the stem and the bottoms off of the squash. Cut both squash in half, scoop out and throw away the seeds (don’t worry about the stringy parts)
- Place the squash on the pan and drizzle with olive oil, rubbing the oil over the squash, sprinkling with a little garlic salt (or just salt) and black pepper.
- Flip over the squash on the baking sheet so it is oil side down and roast until it becomes soft and cooked through. You’ll be able to smell it roasting and it is okay if the skin turns brown, just try not to leave it in there so long it burns (usually takes 40-60 minutes)
- In the meantime, get out a medium sauce pan and put over low to medium heat on the stove. Add the butter and let it melt until it starts to glisten and foam a little.
- Add the lemon juice, chopped onion, chopped apple, and salt. Add the collagen. Stir until the onion becomes browned.
- Add in the minced garlic for stir for 1-2 minutes
- Transfer ingredients to a bowl or blender.
- Once the butternut squash is done roasting, take out of the oven, flip it over, and scoop out the squash. Add the black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, and chicken stock/broth to the mix
- Blend on high and be careful of the steam. If you’re using a blender, DO NOT fill past the fill line, as you do not want hot soup to go flying in your kitchen, that’s a hazard. Mix until creamy texture is desired.
- Season with salt and pepper and store up to 6 days. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soup (Roasted): Takeaway
All in all, who doesn't love a warm bowl a soup on a chilly day? We know we do! We hope that you give this butternut squash soul roasted to perfection a try and mix it up with spices and ingredients to make it your own. You can change out the butter for olive oil or coconut cream, take out the apple and add in roasted carrots, or even change up the spices and use thyme or sage. Happy sipping!
Need Help With Optimizing Your Diet And Nutrition Plan To Finally Get The Results You've Been Waiting For?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.