I know what you’re thinking, “Healthy mac and cheese? There’s no such thing.” But, yes there is, otherwise, you wouldn’t be here. Healthy macaroni and cheese, is really about cutting out some of the calories and fat, as opposed to being “healthy.” But we found a way to lighten the load by adding some protein to make this healthy macaroni and cheese recipe so you can make it a staple in your weekly dinner options.
The first step in making that mac and cheese a bit healthier is to switch out simple carbohydrates or traditional white pasta with chickpea, whole wheat, brown rice, or quinoa pasta. Switching from a simple or refined carbohydrate to a complex carb, will slow down your digestion process, add more fiber to your diet, and have a slower blood sugar release, keeping you fuller for longer, and maintaining steady energy levels. Chickpea pasta however will have much more protein than any other option, and it tastes just like the real thing.
Additionally, reducing the amount of butter, or replacing the butter with a butter alternative, the amount of cheese, and milk will also save you on some calories and fat content. Pea milk is also protein-packed and a great option for this protein-packed healthy macaroni and cheese recipe.
Healthy Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
- 12 oz. of Pasta: (chickpea, whole wheat, quinoa, cauliflower, or brown rice)
- 1 ½ tbsp of Butter or butter alternative
- 2 cups of Milk or Pea Milk: (those with dairy allergies, can replace with oat milk, macadamia, or pea milk)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups of cheddar (small blocks will melt best)
- 2 tbsp of grated parmesan
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt, and bring to a boil
- Add pasta and boil until tender for around 8-10 minutes. If you like your pasta more al dente, boil for 5-8 minutes.
- Strain and wash with cold water
- Add back to the pot with butter and cheese
- Let sit in the pot for 5 minutes
- Stir until cheese and butter is creamy
Healthy Protein Macaroni And Cheese Recipe: Takeaway
If you're trying to be healthy but absolutely love mac and cheese, this recipe gives you the best of both worlds. Try out this healthy macaroni and cheese recipe to get a protein-packed bowl of delicious cheesy goodness.
Need Help With Optimizing Your Diet And Nutrition Plan To Finally Get The Results You've Been Waiting For?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.