Whether it is a crisp fall day or the middle of summer, these pumpkin whoopie pies are going to deliver that rich, sweet, pumpkin flavor that your tastebuds have been craving! The puffy outside of these pumpkin cookies are just firm enough to hold their shape and fit right in your hand while the inside is full of sweet, delectable frosting, enough to give it that little extra ‘mmm!’.
This recipe was made in partnership with our nutrition and lifestyle coaches at The Swole Kitchen. Click here to schedule a free nutrition consultation and see how you can reach your goals while eating the food you love.
What Is A Whoopie Pie, After All?
A whoopie pie is a cookie like or cookie-shaped cake with a creamy filling inside. They’re also referred to as moon pies and have been around for quite a while, talk about a classic! While the most classic of all is actually a chocolate cake with a vanilla frosting inside, there are plenty of variations out there, including this pumpkin whoopie pie recipe! The tale says that the Amish are responsible for creating the snack in New England and the name comes from when Amish men found the treats in their lunch boxes, who would exclaim, “whoopie!”.
Where Did The Whoopie Pie Come From?
Space! Ah, no, just kidding! No one is really sure where exactly the whoopie pie came from, but a few states here in the USA (Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania to be exact) claim that this is where the whoopie pie comes from. In fact, Maine has Whoopie Pie Day, an actual state holiday, that falls on the third Saturday or June. So it goes, whoopie pies are the official state treat.
Commercially Produced Whoopie Pies
The first known commercially produced whoopie pies were sold by Labadie’s Bakery in Lewiston, Maine – home of the Farmers’ Almanac – in 1925 (some say 1918). While the stories vary and the origination isn’t quite clear, what we do know is that with this recipe, you’re going to be a whoopie pie lover in no time! You can make this recipe from scratch in just under ten minutes, and even use the recipe to branch out into other flavors, like chocolate, cinnamon, gingerbread, and peanut butter.
Whoopie Pie Pumpkin Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not filling)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Trivia baking blend (or 1 1/4 cup sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 5/8 cup confectioners sugar
- 2.5 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, ginger and salt)
- In a large bowl, using a standing or hand mixer, mix together the butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes)
- Crack and beat eggs one at a time, until just combined
- Add pumpkin and vanilla extract, mixing until nice and smooth
- Slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture from the medium bowl until just combined
- Get out a baking sheet and line with parchment paper
- From here, you can either pipe or drop the cookie batter onto the sheet — you can make small, medium, or large cookies depending on what you’re serving them for
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack for 10-12 minutes or until they are springy. Avoid over baking, as this will make the spongey cake hard when they cool
- While baking, make your filling in a new bowl using a mixer
- Mix together the butter and powdered sugar on high until nice and fluffy (2-3 minutes)
- Cut the cream cheese into little cubes and add in one at a time, making sure you beat until very smooth (30 seconds - 1 minute each)
- After you add in all of the cream cheese, mix in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt
- When done, remove from parchment paper and let the cookies cool on a wire rack for ~5 minutes or so. You don’t want them to melt the filling
- Once cooled, you can spoon or pipe the filling into the cookies and match them with their tops! You can dust them with powdered sugar for a little extra presentation bonus, too!
- Store these pumpkin whoopie pies in the fridge in an air tight container
Need some help with your nutrition?
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.