Craving a donut? Then you’ve come to the right place! These moist and indulgent lemon 🍋💦 protein cake donuts made with vanilla protein powder are baked to perfection in under 15 minutes. Top them with a tart lemon glaze, lemon zest, and some sprinkles and you’ll never want a fried donut from the shop again (yep, we said it!). Bake up a little sunshine with this macro friendly lemon vanilla protein donuts recipe and tag us in your photos when you do!
This recipe was made in partnership with our nutrition and lifestyle coaches at The Swole Kitchen. Click here to schedule a free nutrition consultation and see how you can reach your goals while eating the food you love.
The Best Protein Powder For Baking
We recommend using Whey Protein Isolate from Swolverine for your baking recipes. Here's why:
Swolverine's Whey Protein Isolate
26g protein per 30g scoop serving (30 servings total)
110 calories, 1g carb, 1g sugar (per serving)
Papain & Protease (added digestive enzymes)
10 mg per serving for better digestion
You can purchase the Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate that we used in this exact recipe by clicking HERE 😛🍰
How Does Whey Protein Isolate Work?
Like all protein, whey protein isolate is comprised of amino acids. Protein is primarily used for building muscle mass and rebuilding and repairing muscle mass breakdown. This is why consuming protein after training is crucial to maximize performance benefits and gains, by repairing lean muscle mass and optimizing recovery time. Numerous studies have demonstrated that protein supplementation or ingestion post-workout has a beneficial effect on acute anaerobic power, strength, and recovery [R].
RECOMMENDED PRODUCT: Whey Protein Isolate (30 servings, 26g protein per 30g scoop)
Traditionally, most baking recipes will ask you to use casein or whey protein instead of whey isolate. This is because the high protein and low fat/carb content of isolate can dry out a baking recipe. However, what we like to do is use natural ingredients like unsweetened apple sauce (for example) in this lemon vanilla protein donuts recipe to boost the rich content of our donuts so you can get a higher protein content per donut.
Macro Friendly Lemon Vanilla Protein Donuts Recipe
Serves: 6 mini donuts / 3 full size donuts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes
Macros: 116 calories // 4.1g fat // 28.9 carbohydrates // 14.4g protein
- 1/3 cup (31g or 1-ish scoops) Swolverine Vanilla Flavored Whey Isolate Protein Powder
- 1/3 cup (88g) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup (143g) monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup (30g) coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup Swolverine Vanilla Flavored Whey Isolate Protein Powder
- 3 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp monk fruit sweetener
- 2 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 -2 tsp lemon extract (add for desired lemon taste)
- White sprinkles for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a mini donut pan
- Add all ingredients for the donuts to a bowl and mix until smooth
- Pour into donut tin and full almost to the top, leaving a little room to ensure that you have a hole in the donut
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick comes out clean (do not over-bake)
- While the lemon protein donuts are baking, mix together your ingredients for the frosting adding sweetener and lemon extract until you reach the desired taste and tartness
- Remove donuts from oven and let cool on a rack
- When cooled, dip donuts into frosting/icing glaze and let dry again on a rack
You can store donuts in the fridge for up to 5 days (if they last that long)! This recipe is gluten-free and can be made dairy free by swapping out the cream cheese in the icing ingredients.
Create your delicious soft MACRO FRIENDLY LEMON PROTEIN DONUTS with Swolverine's Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate
Our rich and creamy Whey Protein Isolate is packed with 26 grams of ultra-pure cold-pressed, micro-filtered Whey Protein Isolate per serving. Sourced from the happiest grass-fed cows in America free of rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone), our Whey Protein Isolate is loaded with the building blocks you need, to build your athletic performance and strength.
SWOLVERINE IS AN ENDURANCE ATHLETE AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLE BRAND. MADE FOR THE ELITE ATHLETE, AND THE STRONG-WILLED OUR PRODUCTS WERE DESIGNED TO FUEL YOUR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE. WE PERFORM WHEN YOU PERFORM.
We believe that everyone can optimize not only their athletic performance but their human potential. The way we believe we can optimize performance is through transparency, clinically effective doses, and clinically proven ingredients with evidence-based outcomes. We provide the nutrients you need to power your active lifestyle.